Last newsletter I featured the PowerPhrase:
- How do you want the process to operate?
This week I have the follow-up to that phrase.
- What is preventing the operator from running this way?
In our offices, we might adapt the question to things like,
- What is preventing the sales force from recording their sales the way we instruct them?
- What is preventing my assistant from getting my project to me on time?
- What is preventing my manager from updating his calendar when his schedule changes?
The point is, we know how we want the process to work and if it's not working that way, instead of going into blame, we go into problem-solving. This phrase assumes - as leam managers do- that people want to do good work and need support in overcoming obstacles, not criticism, when their work falls short.